Menu
24/7 Emergency Services
24/7 Emergency # 1 (866) 4-WINMAR

News & Updates

How To Deal With A Toxic Mould Problem

Toxic Mould is a common household problem, thriving in poorly ventilated areas such as damp basements, bathrooms and kitchens due to flooding, sewer backups, plumbing and roof leaks. If not dealt with in a timely fashion, mould can destroy property and cause serious health problems. Among the most vulnerable are infants, the elderly and highly allergic persons when exposed to mould contaminants. In large numbers, mould spores can cause allergic reactions and breathing problems.

toxic mould in house

How To Identify Toxic Mould

There are over 100,000 species that come in different sizes, shapes and colours. As a result, this makes it very difficult to identify what kind of mould you’re dealing with. Black mould is often referred to as toxic or poisonous, however not all black mould is dangerous.

Evidence of dark spots and a musty smell are easy indicators that you have a mould problem. Usually, when moisture comes into contact with an organic surface for a long period of time, mould will grow. These surfaces include insulation, wood and grout to name a few. 

The Toxins in Mould

Mycotoxins are toxic compounds naturally produced by certain types of mould. The most common species of mould to produce mycotoxins is black mould. This type of mould releases its chemicals into the air, which can then be inhaled. Keep in mind that black mould is not always toxic.

Common Symptoms

Depending on the person, mould has different effects whether it’s toxic or not. Take note of these common symptoms to be on the lookout for.

“Regular” Mould

  • Runny nose
  • Itchy, puffy, and/or watery eyes
  • Coughing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Throat irritation

Toxic Mould

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Unrestrained coughing and/or sneezing
  • Impaired concentration
  • Fatigue and headaches
  • Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea
  • Red and itchy eyes

If you find any species of mould in your dwelling, get it professionally remediated and removed as quickly as possible. This will stop it from spreading and avoid potential health problems.

Find your local WINMAR location and give them a call for an assessment today.

property restoration specialists cleaning