WINMAR® is dedicated to the safety of our employees and our customers. We have put systems in place that involve the joint co-operation of all stakeholders. We follow the CDC and Health Canada guidelines and follow provincial workplace safety board recommendations.

Read our safety plan

24/7 Emergency Services
24/7 Emergency # 1 (866) 4-WINMAR

News & Updates

Mould Vs. Toxic Mould

Mould has over 100,000 species that come in various sizes, shapes, and colours. Understandably, this makes it extremely hard to tell what type of mold you’re dealing with to the naked eye. Black mould is often referred to as toxic or poisonous, however not all black mould poses this danger.

As you might have guessed by now, identifying what kind of mould problem you’re facing can be complicated!

Mould in the Home

Dark spots and that tell-tale, musty smell; you’ve got mould. Mould is a fungus that grows as a result of moisture coming into contact with an organic surface for a prolonged amount of time – this can include insulation, grout, wood, you name it.

Mould is very common in indoor spaces; it’s when mould starts to overgrow, becomes visible, and causes allergies that it becomes a problem.

Mould Toxins

Mould becomes toxic when it starts to produce mycotoxins. Black mould is the best known species to produce mycotoxins, however it’s not the only species that does this. There are actually five categories of toxic mould that release harmful mycotoxins, each exhibiting different colours and textures.

Bottom line: toxic mould can come in many forms, and black mould is not always toxic.

Health Effects

Mould affects everyone differently, but there are some key indicators that you are in the presence of toxic mould due to the severity of symptoms.

“Regular” Mould

  • Runny nose
  • Itchy, puffy, and/or watery eyes
  • Coughing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Throat irritation

Toxic Mould

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Unrestrained coughing and/or sneezing
  • Impaired concentration
  • Fatigue and headaches
  • Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea
  • Red and itchy eyes

Bottom, bottom line: Regardless of the species of mould you discover in your space, it’s important to get it professionally remediated and removed as soon as possible to avoid potential health complications and to stop it from spreading.

Give your local WINMAR a call for an assessment today.